Preparing this vegetable is very simple. It is a little spiky (but doesn't hurt).
- Apply generous amount of sesame oil on the knife blade and in the palm of your hand that you use to hold the jackfruit. This is very useful to prevent your hands and the knife from being sticky.
- Hold it and cut it into half. If you want to save the rest, wrap it tightly with glad press-n-seal or any saran wrap and refrigerate.
- Take the portion which you intend to cook. Chop into big chunks.
- Hold the chunk firm, cut the peel off.
- Repeat with all of the chunks.
- If you opt for shredding and then using, chop into manageable size chunks and boil in water. When it is about to be done, add necessary amount salt and let it simmer for a couple more minutes. When cool, shred and use as needed. Just pulse couple of times in your blender and you have it shredded. Boiling and shredding helps you to process a little faster.
Before boiling After Boiling Cooked and shredded tender jackfruit
- You can further chop it into smaller cubes, boil it and then make curries or gravies. This takes a little bit more time as you need to chop. You can freeze this in freezer ziplocs for upto 3 months.
- That's all. Now you have the tender jackfruit ready to cook and relish in your home with your family and friends.